Some iPhone 15 Pro max models come with a physical Sim card slot instead of an eSIM. Without a SIM card, you can’t make phone calls, send and receive text messages, and connect to the Internet via cellular data while out and about. Unfortunately, your iPhone 15 Pro Max may fail to read the SIM card because of hardware and software issues. If your iPhone 15 Pro Max is not detecting the SIM card, here’s what you can do to fix it.
If your iPhone 15 Pro max is not detecting the SIM card, remove the SIM card from your phone, wipe it gently with a soft, dry cloth and place it back in.
Note: information in this article apply to iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.
When your iPhone 15 Pro Max failed to detect the Sim card, you may also experience the following problems:
- You may notice the “No SIM” notification in the status bar (top left corner of your iPhone 15 Pro Max)
- Your iPhone 15 Pro Max may say “invalid SIM”.
- You may see a popup alert notification on your iPhone 15 Pro Max saying “No SIM card Installed”.
So why is your iPhone 15 Pro Max not detecting SIM card?
Reasons why your iPhone 15 Pro Max is not detecting SIM Card
There are a few reasons your iPhone 15 Pro Max might not detect a SIM card. The SIM card may not be properly placed and thus your iPhone 15 Pro Max cannot read it. However, it may also mean that some sort of corruption in the iOS software may cause this error, preventing your iPhone 15 Pro Max from detecting the sim. Another possible reason for this can be a faulty SIM card, like your card might be damaged. And lastly, you may be having this issue because of a network connection problem.
Luckily, there are a few fixes that you can try. Please try each step below until your issue is resolved.
How to fix iPhone 15 Pro Max not detecting SIM card issue
1. Turn Airplane mode on and off
If your iPhone 15 Pro Max is not reading the Sim card, try toggling airplane mode on and off. Here’s how:
- Launch the Settings app or the Control Center on your iPhone.
- Enable Airplanemode.
- After a 15-second wait, disable Airplane mode.
If your carrier name appears in the status bar or Control Center, it indicates that the SIM card is functioning properly.
2. Restart your iPhone
Restarting is always a good idea. Restart your device to see if you can fix this issue. If you are just starting to use a new SIM card, always restart first. Here’s how you can restart your iPhone:
- Press and hold the volume up (or down) and the side button together until the power off slider appears.
- Drag the power slider from left to right.
- Wait for your iPhone to turn off completely.
- Press and hold the side button to turn your iPhone back on.
3. Update your iPhone
In the past, we have seen a few instances where a new update has caused this problem. However, Apple was quickly able to fix it with an update. Thus, it is recommended that you update your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap General.
- Tap Software Update to check for updates.
- If there is an update, follow the instructions on the screen.
4. Check for a carrier settings update
Occasionally carriers also release updates. These updates usually address SIM Card-related problems. If the issue you are having is widespread, your carrier may have already released an update. To check this, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Scroll down and tap General.
- Tap About. If there is an update, a popup will appear.
Please ensure that your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi, as this requires an active internet connection. If you do not have Wi-Fi, find a Wi-Fi and try this step again.
5. Check to see if your SIM card is damaged
If your iPhone 15 Pro Max is not detecting Sim card, the SIM card may not be placed correctly. Try removing your SIM card and putting it back.
- Locate the SIM tray. It’s located on the left side of the iPhone.
- You will see a tiny hole beside the tray. Insert a paper clip or the SIM-ejector tool (which comes with your iPhone when purchased new). The tray should pop out. Ensure that the phone’s SIM tray isn’t bent or damaged. If the tray doesn’t release easily, you might have to replace it.
- Remove the SIM. Gently clean the SIM with a dry and soft cloth. If you see visible damage to the SIM, contact your carrier and ask for a replacement, as we explain in the next section.
- Put the SIM in the tray again and push the tray back into the phone. Please ensure that the notched corner matches the notched corner of the tray. If you need to force the tray back into the phone, you might have to replace it.
6. Is something wrong with the SIM card?
If your iPhone 15 Pro Max is not detecting the SIM card, there may be something wrong with your SIM card. To rule this out, you have two options:
- Take out your SIM card (see the steps above) and put it on another phone. If it works on the other device, you likely have a hardware problem on your iPhone 15 Pro Max. Contact Apple Support or an authorized repair center to repair or replace your iPhone.
- If you do not have another device to test your SIM card, contact your cellular carrier and get another SIM card from them. Carriers will either replace the card at no cost or for a nominal fee. Then, test this new SIM card.
7. Reset your network settings
If your iPhone 15 Pro Max is still not detecting SIM card, try this step. Please note that when you choose to Reset Network Settings on your iPhone, it means you are initiating a process that will revert all network-related settings to their default configurations. This action includes Wi-Fi passwords (you will need to reenter them afterward), VPN settings, Bluetooth pairing and more. But you should also know that your content (photos, files, etc.) and other data stay intact. To do this, follow the steps below:
- go to Settings.
- Tap General
- Tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.