If you are having problems connecting your iPhone to Apple CarPlay in iOS 17, this troubleshooting guide will show you how to fix the issue.
You can use CarPlay easily. Once connected, your iOS apps will show up on your car display. Then, for example, you can send or receive messages, get directions or make or receive phone calls; hands-free so that you can focus on the road.
A lot of iPhone users were excited to update to iOS 17, and one of the reasons is that iOS 17 brought many new features to CarPlay. For example, SharePlay now works with the Apple Music app in CarPlay, which means everyone in the car, passengers included, can contribute to an Apple Music playlist. Also, the Messages app in CarPlay has a revamped interface that makes it easier to quickly reply and re-read a message without taking too much attention away from the road.
Of course, you will be able to take advantage of these new features if you get CarPlay working with your iPhone. From the user reports, there seem to be two types of issues:
- Some iPhone users who updated to iOS 17 said that Apple CarPlay had stopped working after the update. Users are complaining that their car is not recognizing the iPhone when it is connected to the car’s USB port; CarPlay refuses to load the infotainment system. From the users’ reports, it appears that this is not a connection problem because it does not affect the ability to charge the iPhone via the car’s USB port.
- The other problem is that CarPlay is connected but not working properly. For example, notifications, Siri or GPS are not functioning as expected.
We are not sure yet if there is a common theme; that certain iPhone models or car makers are affected. If you are having this issue, here is what you can do:
1. Update your device
Ensure that your iPhone has the latest version of iOS 17. Apple may already be aware of and have addressed this problem if a great number of users have already reported the issue. Head over to Settings > General > Software Update to check for updates. If there is an update, follow the onscreen instructions. After updating your device, check to see if CarPlay is working now. If the screen says that iOS is up to date, go to the next step. You can also turn on Automatic Updates so that your iPhone will be automatically updated in the future.
2. Disable VPN
When I experience CarPlay problems on my iPhone after iOS 17 update, i disabled VPN and CarPlay started working again. You may want to try this, too, if you are using VPN. Here’s how:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > VPN & Device Management > VPN.
- If Status says Connected, turn it off.
Now go to your car. Does CarPlay load now? If it is working now, there are a few things you may want to try:
- Check if your VPN app has an update on App Store.
- Reach out the developers of your VPN. Let them know the issue. Maybe they can offer a fix.
- Also, periodically check for iOS updates. This issue may be fixed by a future update so that you can start using both VPN and CarPlay.
- If you do not want to give up VPN, you can try the next two fixes to see if they help.
3. Force restart yor device
Force restart your iPhone. This is simple and does not erase any data. Follow these steps in order:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo shows up on the screen. Now, release the Side button.
Your iPhone will restart. Now try to use CarPlay again.
4. Forget and then re-add your car
If you are still facing the issue, disconnect CarPlay and re-connect again. Here is how:
- On your iPhone, tap Settings > General > CarPlay.
- Select your Car.
- Tap Forget This Car.
To set up CarPlay again, start your car, then connect your iPhone.
- If you are using a wired connection, make sure that your USB cable is plugged into the CarPlay or smartphone port on your car rather than just a charging port. Also, make sure that you’re using a decent cable that works for data transfer, not just charging.
- If you have a wireless connection, make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on your iPhone by going to Settings > Bluetooth. Then go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and make sure that Wi-Fi is also turned on. Tap the CarPlay network, and check that Auto-Join is turned on.
5. Reset network settings
If your iOS 17 device is still not connecting to CarPlay, reset the network settings on your iPhone. Please note: this will restore your network-related settings to their factory default. For example, your Wi-Fi passwords and VPN configurations will be gone after doing this. Here is how you can do this:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone, then tap General.
- Tap Transfer or Reset iPhone, then select Reset.
- Tap Reset Network Settings and follow the onscreen instructions.
Now, restart your iPhone. Then re-pair it again via the USB port, or if your car supports it, connect wirelessly.
If you still have issues connecting to CarPlay, contact Apple Support.