Fake Apple Pencils are widespread. We explain how to recognise fake Apple Pencil 2.
- To check if Apple Pencil 2 is original or fake, check its serial number in Apple’s coverage checking tool. If it show up there, your Apple Pencil 2 is real.
- Using the Apple Pencil 2nd Generation’s built-in magnet, attach it to the right side of your iPad. Only real Apple Pencil 2 open a window to pair/show battery life.
The Apple Pencil 2 has been around a long time and it’s readily available at many retail stores. There are hundreds of fake Apple Pencil brands on the market, and at first glance it’s not always easy to pick out the frauds. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of foolproof tips and tricks to help you spot fake Apple Pencil (2nd generation).
Ways to Tell If Apple Pencil (2nd generation) is Fake
How to Tell If Apple Pencil 2 is Fake: Check the Serial Number
The most foolproof way to tell if Apple Pencil 2 is fake is to go directly to the source: Apple. Apple has an online to check a product’s warranty status. Just enter the Apple Pencil 2’ serial number and, if you find it there, it’s the real deal. If you don’t, you’ve spotted fake Apple Pencil 2. Here’s what to do:
- In your web browser, go to Apple’s coverage checking tool.
Find your Apple Pencil 2’ serial number. Simply remove the tip from your Apple Pencil and find the serial number engraved on the inside of your Apple Pencil. To zoom in on the serial number, you can use Magnifier on your iPhone or iPad.
Enter the serial number, the CAPTCHA, and click Continue.
If the tool returns information for that serial number (especially a valid purchased date), the Apple Pencil 2 is real.
How to Know If Apple Pencil 2 is Real: Try to Pair it or Check Battery Life
Another reliable way to tell if Apple Pencil 2 is fake is by doing something only authentic Apple Pencil 2 can do.
When you attach the Apple Pencil 2nd Generation’s to the right side of your iPad, a pairing window pops up on the device’s screen. That can only happen with genuine Apple Pencil 2. It’s extremely unlikely fake Apple Pencil 2 could mimic that feature.
So, to spot fake Apple Pencil 2 using this trick, follow these steps:
- Make sure the Apple Pencil 2 is charged.
Attach the Apple Pencil to the magnetic connector on the side of your iPad.
When you attach Apple Pencil (2nd generation) to your iPad, the battery level appears near the top of the screen for a moment. That means your Apple Pencil 2 is genuine. If it doesn’t appear, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
If the Apple Pencil has not been paired to your iPad, wait for the pairing prompt to appear. If it does, your Apple Pencil 2 is the real thing.
If you follow these steps but don’t see the above prompts on your iPad’s screen, we’re sorry to tell you, but your Apple Pencil 2 is fake.
How to Spot Fake Apple Pencil 2: Packaging, Manufacturing, and More
Checking the serial number and Apple Pencil 2-only features is the most reliable way to spot fake Apple Pencil 2, but you can use some other methods. These options include some guessing, so we recommend the options from earlier in the article, but you can try these, too:
- Price: Apple products aren’t cheap. The retail price for the Apple Pencil (2nd generation) is $129. If the Apple pencil 2 costs much less than that—say, $50, it might not be real.
- Build Quality:** **Apple is famous for the very high quality of its accessories. The tip is tight and sturdy, and the color of Apple Pencil 2 is clean and bright. If the Apple Pencil 2 seem a little low quality, the tip is loose, or the color isn’t perfect, it’s definitely a knock-off Apple Pencil 2.
- Packaging: Just like the build quality of Apple products is high, so is the packaging quality. The boxes’ fit is tight, the quality of the printing high, the placement of stickers perfect. Apple’s quality control for its products is exacting, so if the Apple Pencil 2 doesn’t meet that mark, it’s definitely fake.