Wondering why your iPhone 12 mini won’t shut down? Looking for a way to turn off your iPhone 12 mini when it’s not responding? We look at various reasons why your iPhone 12 mini won’t turn off and also look at a few fixes for the same.
This article will help you if:
- Your iPhone 12 mini doesn’t respond when the buttons (volume and side buttons) are pressed when you want to turn it off.
- The power-off slider is unresponsive.
- Your iPhone 12 mini has a black or frozen screen.
It can be a worst nightmare if your iPhone 12 mini won’t turn off. If you leave an iPhone switched on permanently, this will have a negative effect on the battery capacity in the long term. With extreme states of charge as well as with higher states of charge, the electrodes in the battery can oxidize, whereby they lose their ability to absorb the lithium ions and thus ensure the flow of current. So the battery loses its capacity. It is therefore recommended that the smartphone be switched off every now and then.
How to turn off an iPhone 12 mini
It’s normally easy to turn off an iPhone 12 mini. You can power off your iPhone 12 mini in two ways:
- You can head to Settings > General > Shut Down, the power-off slider appears, and then drag the slider to the right.
- Or alternatively, you can press and hold the side button and either volume button until you see the power off slider and then drag the slider to the right.
How to fix an iPhone 12 mini that won’t shut down
There’s no simple answer to fix an iPhone 12 mini that has problems shutting down. It could be caused by a variety of different problems. Here are some troubleshoooting steps that we advise you to try. Go through each one at a time and see if it solves the problem:
Force restart your iPhone
Sometimes your iPhone 12 mini won’t shut down because it has frozen. If you think that might have happened, try to force it to restart. This will not erase the content currently on your iPhone. You can do this even when your screen or buttons are not responding when you touch or press. Here’s how:
- Press and release the Volume Up button.
- Press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears, then release the Side button. If you see the “slide to power off” screen, ignore it.
iPhone 12 mini not powering off still?
Force restarting your iPhone 12 mini will fix your problem. However, if your iPhone keeps showing this symptom, meaning if this problem occurs again, then you may want to determine what is causing this:
- Make sure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. You can update your phone by heading to Settings > General > Software Update. You can also turn on and customize Automatic Updates.
- Ensure that all of your apps are up to date. You can update your apps by going to the App Store app on your iPhone. Again you may want to turn on Automatic Updates.
- If a certain app is causing this issue, for example, when you want to launch the app, your iPhone becomes unresponsive, then ensure that the app is updated to the latest version, if this does not fix it, you can contact its developer for further help or you can uninstall it.
Contact Apple Support
Please contact Apple Support, if you have one of the following issues:
- Your Volume, or Side buttons are stuck or broken. So you cannot force restart your iPhone.
- Your iPhone 12 mini shows a black screen but you know it is working because you hear notifications or sounds.
These issues may indicate a hardware problem. You can make a Genius Bar appointment. Your device may still have warranty coverage, including AppleCare.
Let us know in the comments if you have encountered any shut down problems and the steps you took to resolve it.