A persistent “No Service” message on your iPhone 12 mini means that you won’t be able to do some of the basic things with the device that are otherwise possible. In this article, I’ll explain why your iPhone 12 mini says No Service or searching and show you how to fix the problem for good!
If your iPhone 12 mini cellular network isn’t available then you won’t be able to use your iPhone as Personal Hotspot, make and receive calls, use mobile data, or send and receive text messages. When that happens your iPhone 12 mini will say Searching or No Service in the status bar. Either way, we’ve probably got the solution in this post. Read on to find out why your iPhone 12 mini says No Service or searching and what you can do about it!
Why does my iPhone 12 mini say No Service or Searching?
There are many reasons why your iPhone 12 mini could say No Service or Searching, including the following:
- You’re outside of your cellphone carrier’s network.
- There’s a network outage in your area.
- Airplane Mode is turned on.
- There’s a problem with your SIM card.
- Your iPhone needs a software or carrier settings update.
- There’s a problem with your carrier account.
- Your network settings need to be reset.
- Your iPhone is damaged.
How can I fix an iPhone 12 mini that’s showing No Service?
The steps below have been proven to be a solution for No Service or Searching problem on iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
1. If Your iPhone 12 mini Says no service, Check Your Coverage Area
The first thing to which you should be paying attention when your iPhone says No Service is whether you are in an area where you’re likely to be able to get cellular service. If you’re out in the middle of nowhere and you know that there’s not a cell tower anywhere near you, then you’re going to need to change locations before you can resolve the problem of No Service on iPhone 12 mini. If you’re surrounded by mountains or you’re at a much higher elevation than normal, expect to experience this problem as well.
2. Restarting Your Device Can Get Rid of a No Service Message
People around the internet have been joking about restarting any gadget in the hopes of fixing it. As cliché as it can be, they actually work in many cases. This fix might seem to be suspiciously simple, but sometimes, simple is all you need to make it work. So, try restarting your iPhone to clear out any software issues that could be causing your iPhone 12 mini to show No Service. Turn your iPhone off, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
3. Turn Airplane Mode Off and On if Your iPhone 12 mini Says No service
Many times, setting errors are the reason why your iPhone says no service. While it sounds silly, it’s normal to forget certain things. After a long flight with “Airplane mode” turned on, you may have just forgotten to turn it off. Another possibility is that you could’ve turned it on by accident and never noticed it. To turn Airplane Mode off:
- Open Settings.
- Check the Airplane Mode icon. If it’s turned on, the switch next to it will be green. Tap the switch to turn it off.
You can also try turning Airplane Mode off and on a few times to clear out any signal issues preventing your iPhone 12 mini from getting service. Make sure to leave Airplane Mode in the off position when you finish.
4. Turn Cellular Data On if Your iPhone 12 mini Says No Service
When your iPhone is loose and unlocked, you can accidentally push buttons that can interfere with your cellular data. When this happens, your iPhone may not be able to receive signals, causing it to show No Service. To check the status of your cellular data:
- Open Settings.
- Tap Cellular, then check the Cellular Data setting (if your iPhone is set to British English instead of English, it will say Mobile Data). If Cellular Data is turned off, the switch next to it will be gray.
You may also want to turn your Cellular Data off and on a few times, making sure that the switch is green, or in the on position, when you finish.
5. My iPhone 12 mini Says No Service: the SIM Card Solution
Another way to fix this problem is by re-inserting your SIM card. Sometimes, rebooting or resetting the communication between your iPhone 12 mini and SIM card is enough to fix the no service issue.
Unless you clean it regularly, your iPhone is bound to get dirty. From food crumbs to coffee spills, all kinds of icky substances can get trapped in your device overtime. This buildup can be especially harmful if it gets trapped in your SIM card tray. When this happens, your iPhone 12 mini won’t be able to properly receive signals, causing it to lose service.
Luckily, there’s a way to clean your SIM card and check for signs of physical damage. To remove your SIM card:
- Scan the edges of your iPhone to locate your SIM card tray, which looks like a thin oval with a small hole on the inside.
- Insert a small paperclip or SIM-eject tool (usually located in the box your iPhone came in) into the hole until the tray ejects.
- Remove your SIM card. Use a dry, microfiber cloth to clean your SIM card, then reinsert it in the tray making sure to match the notch in the card to the notch in the tray (your SIM card will only go into the tray one way).
- Pop the tray back into the oval slot and restart your iPhone.
If your SIM card appears to be damaged, contact your carrier to get a new one.
6. If Your iPhone 12 mini Says No Service, a Carrier Update Could be the Fix
If your carrier has recently updated its network, running this update will allow your iPhone to sync with the new technology. It will also help eliminate issues that could be causing your iPhone 12 mini to lose service. To run a carrier settings update:
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi
- Go to Settings > General > About. If a carrier-settings update is available, you’ll see an option to update.
If you’re unsure whether your iPhone is running the most up to date version, contact your carrier.
If your wireless account isn’t active or in good standing, you’ll need to contact your carrier to make sure it isn’t preventing you from receiving calls.
7. Does Your iPhone 12 mini Still Say No Service? Try an iOS Update
Your iPhone 12 mini may also say No Service or Searching because it’s running an older version of iOS software. When this happens, you may notice your device is running slower or unable to complete tasks. These updates keep your iPhone up to date, secure, and working properly. To run a software update:
- Plug your iPhone into your charger and connect to Wi-Fi.
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update. If a software update is available, tap Download and Install. If a message pops up asking to temporarily remove apps, tap Continue.
- If prompted, enter your passcode. The software update will start automatically.
8. Resetting the Network Settings Can Fix an iPhone 12 mini No Service Error
Unlike a factory reset, resetting your Network Settings won’t delete any apps or personal data. It will simply clear out glitches that could be blocking your iPhone’s service. To reset Network settings: ,
- Open Settings.
- Tap General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- If prompted, enter your passcode. Your iPhone will restart.
When reconnecting to your Wi-Fi, virtual private network, or Bluetooth devices again, you will need to reenter your passcodes.
9. A Factory Reset Can Stop an iPhone 12 mini No Service Message
If all of the fixes on this list don’t work and you still can’t find the issue, your last resort is to opt for a factory reset. A factory data reset might be the solution for a connection problem you couldn’t find no matter how hard you look for it.
Before you perform a factory reset, make sure to back up all of your important files as the reset will erase all data stored on your phone. Once you’ve performed a backup, follow the steps below.
- Open the Settings app.
- Select General.
- Tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Hit Erase all content and settings.
10. If Your iPhone 12 mini Still Says No Service, Contact Your Carrier
We’ve now discussed most of the conventional fixes for this problem. If you still can’t get rid of the “No Service” message, it’s time to contact your carrier and talk to them about the issue. Verify that your account is in good standing and active. If you’re all paid up, maybe there was some clerical error, and they cut off your service.
There might be some outage in your area, so ask them about that. They should be able to give you an update on when they’ll be up and running again. You should also ask them about whether you have the right sort of data plan. Plans exist sometimes where your iPhone 12 mini will be blocked from receiving cellular service.
11. iPhone 12 mini Still Say No Service? Get Help From Apple
There are times when you’ve done everything and nothing has solved the issue, not even a complete factory reset. If this happens to you, then the problem might not be your settings or your operating system. Sometimes, the no service on iPhone 12 mini is brought about by hardware problems.
If you’ve done everything, from soft reset to a complete factory reset but your iPhone 12 mini still says no service or Searching, it may be best to visit your nearest Apple Store. Have the technicians go under the hood of your device and see if your problem lies there.
Fixed: iPhone 12 mini No Service!
There are many reasons why your iPhone 12 mini says no service. When you encounter this problem, try out these fixes before doing anything drastic. While the no service issue can be caused by many different things, usually, the solutions to these problems are quite simple.
Did our solutions fix your iPhone 12 mini No Service issue? Did another solution work that we didn’t mention? Feel free to share it in the comments section below!