Is the sound not working on your iPhone 12 mini? Has your iPhone 12 mini got no sound? Have your iPhone 12 mini speakers stopped working? If the speakers have stopped working on your iPhone 12 mini, you can’t hear incoming calls, alert tones, text notifications, and other features. Here are some tips and fixes you can try if your iPhone 12 mini speakers are not working!
See also: Microphone Not Working on iPhone 12 mini? Here’s The Fix!
Your iPhone 12 mini speaker grills are exposed to the world and all its debris all the time, even if your phone is in a case. While your phone is built to withstand these environments, it doesn’t always hold up well against dust. That often results in your iPhone 12 mini speaker sounds becoming muffled, or worse, your iPhone 12 mini speaker not working.
Your iPhone speakers are one of the most fragile components of your device, which means they’re prone to damage. If you don’t hear sound during calls, notice static or crackling noises, or experience sound quality issues, you likely have a problem with your iPhone 12 mini speaker.
Fortunately, if you’re facing iPhone 12 mini speaker issues, you don’t have to book an appointment with the Genius Bar just yet. Here are a handful of troubleshooting steps and fixes you can try to revive your iPhone 12 mini speakers.
Why are my iPhone 12 mini speakers not working?
There are many reasons your iPhone 12 mini speakers may be having issues, but here are some common causes behind iPhone 12 mini speakers not working:
- Physical or liquid damage
- Bluetooth issues
- Headphone glitch
- Airplay is connected
- Silent mode is turned on
- Dirty or blocked speaker port
- Software malfunction
How to fix iPhone 12 mini speakers not working
Whether you own an iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 pro or iPhone 12 Pro Max, there are a variety of fixes you can try at home to get your speakers back up and running.
1. Force Restart your iPhone
If you find your iPhone 12 mini speakers not working, the first thing to do is to simply perform a force restart. This will restart all background activities and give your iPhone a clean start in case anything had crashed since your last reboot and may have been causing the speakers on your iPhone 12 mini to stop working. Follow the steps below:
- Quickly press and release the volume up button.
- Quickly press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the side button.
See also: 12 Tips to Fix iPhone 12 mini Volume Buttons Not Working Issue
2. No sound on iPhone 12 mini? Clean the speakers and receivers
If you’re wondering, ’why does my iPhone 12 mini sound muffled?’ the chances are that the speakers are full of dust! As mentioned earlier, your iPhone’s speaker vents often accumulate dust over time. This can hinder their ability to emit sound. At this point, you should try cleaning the grills yourself to remove as much obstruction as possible.
It’s easy, just do the following:
- If you use a screen protector, case, or film, take it off.
- Look for dirt or anything blocking the speaker and receiver.
- You can blow air into the speakers, either using your mouth or a can of compressed air. Apart from that, you can try to suck small crumbs and bits of dust out using a vacuum cleaner. This could affect your phone’s internals, though, so you should be careful if you attempt this.
- Another good option is gently scrubbing the speaker grills with an old toothbrush, which should help loosen up the dirt.
3. turn the volume all the way up
If the volume on your iPhone is turned down, you might not be able to hear anything. To check the sound volume:
- Unlock your iPhone and hold the Volume Up button (on the left side) to raise the volume level.
- You can also use Siri by saying, “Hey Siri, turn up the volume.”
4. Check the sound settings on your iPhone
There are a few ways to do this.
When Focus Mode is on, many calls and sounds will be silenced. Make sure Focus Mode is turned off by going to Settings > Focus and switching it off.
Confirm that your Silent Mode switch, located on the upper-left side of your device, is set to Ring rather than Silent. Just push the switch forward toward the screen so the orange isn’t showing. (If you do see orange, that means your device is in Silent Mode.)
Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics, and look for the Ringer and Alerts slider. Using your finger, drag the slider back and forth. If you hear a sound, you’re good to go. If you don’t, or if the speaker button near the slider is dimmed, your iPhone 12 mini speakers may need servicing.
5. Update iOS
If your iPhone 12 mini is running an outdated version of iOS, it could cause software issues to occur. Here’s how to make sure you’re running the latest version:
- Plug your iPhone into your charger and connect to Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- If a software update is available, tap Download and Install. If a message pops up asking to temporarily remove apps, tap Continue.
- If prompted, enter your passcode. The software update will start automatically.
6. Disable silence unknown callers
If the Silence Unknown Callers setting is turned on, you won’t hear calls from unknown numbers that aren’t saved in your Contacts. (Those calls will be silenced, sent to voicemail, and listed in Recents.) To turn off this setting, go to Settings > Phone and tap Silence Unknown Callers, then switch it off.
7. Turn off Bluetooth
The Bluetooth is great for playing music from your iPhone through an external speaker, for example, but if it’s turned on when you’re trying to call your doctor, sound won’t come out of your phone. To turn it off, go to Settings, tap Bluetooth, and toggle the switch off.
8. Disconnect your headphones
Sometimes, your iPhone 12 mini speakers may not be working, but your headphones do. When you unplug accessories from the lightning port, iOS may fail to process this event, leaving your phone stuck in headphone mode and your iPhone 12 mini speakers not working. That means your speaker will be disabled, despite you having disconnected your earphones. To fix this glitch:
- Make sure your headphone jack is clean of any dirt or debris.
- Push in your headphones, then quickly pull them out again.
- If you’re using Bluetooth-connected headphones, disconnect them and test out the sound.
9. Reset your settings
If you’ve tried everything else and your still experiencing the problem of iPhone 12 mini speakers not working, try resetting your iPhone settings. This won’t affect your messages, apps, or media files, and it will give your settings—like sound and display—a reset. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone
- Tap Reset, then tap Reset All Settings. You may have to enter your passcode.
10. Water Accident? Let It Dry
One of the most common consequences of water damage on your iPhone is a malfunctioning speaker. The liquid can quickly make its way to the internal component linked to the open grills. So if you’ve had speaker issues on your iPhone 12 mini after such an accident, let your device dry off.
There are several methods to dry a wet iPhone. You can blow hot air into it, dump it in a bowl of rice, and more. Whatever you do, turn your iPhone off immediately and let it completely dry before trying to boot it back up.
11. Get Help from Apple
If none of these steps worked for you, your iPhone 12 mini speakers might be broken. You should book an appointment with the Genius Bar and have it examined by a professional.iPhone 12 mini Not Ringing on Incoming Calls? Here’s The Fix!
iPhone 12 mini Speakers Not Working? These Fixes Should Have Helped!
With these possible fixes, you should hopefully be able to revive your iPhone 12 mini speakers if it’s just a software bug.
Have you faced problems with speakers on your iPhone 12 mini? Let us know in the comments section if the above solutions helped you out.
Submit a comment