FaceTime, Skype, Siri, Voice Memo, and phone calls. We’re always talking to our iPhones, so what can you do if your iPhone 12 mini microphone stopped working? In this article, we look at why an iPhone 12 mini microphone might not be working, and how to fix it.
See also: Speakers Not Working on iPhone 12 mini? Here’s The Fix!
Your iPhone 12 mini has a built-in microphone. That’s how you’re able to do all those great things like chat over FaceTime, take phone calls, record videos, or ask Siri questions on an iPhone.
So what do you do if your iPhone 12 mini microphone stopped working?
It’s an unfortunate situation, but we’re here to help. Below you’ll find our top tips for fixing your iPhone 12 mini microphone problems.. Let’s get right into it!
Why is iPhone 12 mini mic not working?
There could be a number of reasons this has stopped working.
Your mic can become distorted for a variety of reasons, with the most common being a dirty phone. If you aren’t someone who cleans their phone regularly, you might be surprised to see how much dirt gets built up.
Other common issues are related to software updates and third-party app installations. These tend to reconfigure or disable your mic without you realizing it. Your mic can also become damaged due to physical issues, such as internal malfunctioning or damaged hardware from mishandling your iPhone.
How Do You Know Your iPhone 12 mini Mic Is Faulty?
If you suspect that your iPhone 12 mini mic might be broken or malfunctioning, it’s best to test it to make sure.
The easiest way to make sure your iPhone’s mic works is to record your voice and listen to the recording. You can easily tell if your voice sounds distorted to can help you ascertain the problem.
- To test the primary microphone, start the Voice Memos app from the iPhone home screen. Tap the Record icon to record your voice. Stop the recording and play it back. If you can’t hear your voice, this indicates the iPhone 12 mini primary microphone is not working.
- To test the front microphone, start the Camera app from the iPhone home screen. Choose the Video option and toggle to selfie view, then tap the record icon to record your voice. Stop the recording. Go to the Photos app to play the video. If you can’t hear your voice, this indicates the iPhone 12 mini front microphone is not working.
- To test the back microphone, start the Camera app from the iPhone home screen. Go to the Video option and tap the record icon to record your voice. (It should be in regular view.) Stop the recording. Go to the Photos app to play the video. If you can’t hear your voice, this indicates the iPhone 12 mini back microphone is not working.
Ways to Fix iPhone 12 mini Microphone Problems
If you’ve confirmed that your iPhone 12 mini mic isn’t working properly, now you can set out to fix it. Since there are various reasons why your iPhone 12 mini microphone may malfunction, let’s go through different ways to fix your problem.
1. Restart and Check for Updates
Sometimes the easiest solution is the best solution. Restarting your iPhone refreshes the iOS by clearing all processes and open apps. It can be a quick fix to your iPhone 12 mini microphone problem.
To restart your iPhone, hold the Side and either of the volume buttons until the power off slider appears, then drag the slider. Leave it off for 30-60 seconds before turning it back on, then check to see if the problem is resolved.
If a quick restart doesn’t work, check for software updates, which is located under Settings > General > software update. A new software update usually fixes any bugs/errors that the current version may have, which could affect your iPhone 12 mini microphone.
2. Clean Your iPhone’s Microphone
If you don’t clean your iPhone every once in a while, dirt can build up in the small openings of your device, like the microphone port. Simply wiping your iPhone is not enough, as dust or other small debris can get packed in.
As we already mentioned, the iPhone 12 mini has three microphones. Check the bottom, front, and back microphone openings to ensure these openings aren’t covered, blocked, or obstructed in any way.
Grab a small pin, thin needle, or similar and use it to gently clean your mic. The other alternative is to blow directly at it, to remove all the built-up debris. However, if you do this, be careful not to blow air further into the phone.
Another aspect to check while cleaning for is your case or screen protector. When you place a new protective item on your iPhone, there’s a chance that you’ll cover your mic with it. Make sure that no part of your case is blocking your mic, and that there’s no dust buildup trapped inside crevices of your case either.
3. Unplug any accessories from your iPhone
Unplug all accessories (such as Bluetooth headsets, earbuds, and headphones) connected to the iPhone and use the microphone again to see if it works.
4. Restart communication apps
If the microphone doesn’t work with apps like WhatsApp, Zoom, FaceTime, and Skype, close the app and open it again.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the App Switcher.
- Find a communication app you wish to close and swipe up on it.
- Reopen the app and check to see if Microphone is working as expected.
5. Give apps microphone access
If you are having a microphone issue when you are trying to use a specific app like WhatsApp, Zoom, FaceTime, or Skype, make sure the app has permission to access the microphone. To do this, go to the iPhone Settings, select the respective app to view its settings, then make sure Microphone is switched On.
If giving permissions does not solve it, and if you are having microphone issues for specific apps, like Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, etc, it is possible that the app itself is faulty. If this is the case, there three two things you can try:
- Does this app have a microphone or sound settings? Check these settings and make sure that they are set correctly.
- Delete the app from your iPhone and then reinstall it.
- Contact the developer of the app.
5. Get help from Apple
If none of the above steps have helped, there’s a chance your iPhone 12 mini microphone has been physically damaged somehow. You should contact Apple support for more detailed troubleshooting advice or to book an appointment with the Genius Bar.
iPhone 12 mini microphone not working: Problem fixed!
There are various reasons your iPhone 12 mini mic may not work properly. If you ever run into a problem, the methods above should help you identify and fix the issues with the iPhone 12 mini mic.
The best way to avoid iPhone 12 mini microphone issues from popping up in the future is to take good care of your device.
If you know of any other tips to solve the puzzle of iPhone 12 mini microphone problem, feel free to share them in the comments section below!
Submit a comment