Your iPhone 14 Plus isn’t turning off and you don’t know why. You’re pressing and holding the Side and volume buttons waiting for the power slider to appear, but something’s not working right. In this article, I’ll explain why your iPhone 14 Plus won’t turn off and show you how to fix the problem for good.
Reasons Why Your iPhone 14 Plus Won’t Turn Off
The most likely reasons why your iPhone 14 Plus won’t turn off are:
- It’s frozen due to software problems.
- The Side or the volume buttons are broken.
- The screen is broken and isn’t responding to taps.
Note: information in this article applied to iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
How to Fix an iPhone 14 Plus that Won’t Power Off
Let me begin by explaining how to power off the iPhone 14 Plus the normal way. Press and hold the Side and either of the volume buttons until you see the POWER OFF slider. Then, swipe the power icon from left to right to shut down your iPhone 14 Plus.
However, you’ve probably already tried this and that’s why you searched for this article! The steps below will show you how to fix the problem when your iPhone 14 Plus won’t turn off.
1. Try a force restart
The first step to fix the problem of iPhone 14 not turning off is to perform a force restart. There’s a chance the software on your iPhone 14 Plus has crashed, making it unresponsive even when you tap the display or press the buttons. A hard reset will abruptly turn your iPhone 14 Plus off and back on, which can usually fix a frozen iPhone.
- Quickly press and release Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
2. Turn off the iPhone 14 Plus in the Settings app
If you’re iPhone 14 Plus won’t shut down after trying the above method, you’ll be happy to know that the pre-installed Settings app includes a manual shut down option you can try.
- Go to Settings.
- Go into General.
- Tap Shut Down and move the power off slider from left to right.
3. Update iOS
If these steps haven’t fixed your iPhone 14 Plus not powering off issue, the problem is more likely to be with software than hardware, it’s time to try updating the iOS. New versions include bug fixes, so you may get a fix for your issue.
- Go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap Software Update to install any available updates.
4. Shut the iPhone 14 Plus down using AssistiveTouch
If your iPhone 14 Plus won’t shut down due to a hardware problem with the Side or other buttons, adding a virtual button to the screen can solve things for you. AssistiveTouch is designed to increase accessibility for people with motor-skill impairments, but it can help in this case.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Accessibility.
- Tap Touch.
- Select AssistiveTouch.
- move slider to on/green.
- Now tap the new onscreen button > Device > More > Restart.
5. Reset your iPhone 14 Plus’s settings
While unlikely, a problem with settings on the iPhone 14 Plus could stop it from shutting down. To fix it, you have to delete every setting and preference. This won’t wipe all of your data, but you’ll need to create a new passcode, re-join Wi-Fi networks, and so on. To reset all settings:
- go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Reset All Settings.
6. Put your iPhone 14 Plus into Recovery Mode
This safe setting helps solve serious software problems without requiring you to delete data from your iPhone 14 Plus. If nothing has fixed your iPhone 14 Plus not shutting off issue, this is a good option.
- Open Finder on your Mac. This applies to a Mac running macOS Catalina or later. On a Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier, open iTunes. On a PC, open iTunes.
- Plug your iPhone in to your computer using your USB to Lightning cable.
- With your phone connected to your computer, quickly press and release the Volume Up button, quickly press and release the Volume Down button, and then press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
7. Try DFU Mode
If Recovery Mode doesn’t fix your iPhone 14 Plus not turning off issue, your next step is Device Firmware Update (DFU) Mode. This is a more comprehensive OS-level software reset than Recovery Mode. It’s trickier to use, but is a worth a shot.
- Connect your iPhone 14 Plus to a Mac or PC using a Lightning to USB cable.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Now, press and hold the Side button for 10 seconds.
- The screen will turn black.
- Keep holding the Side button and now press the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.
- After 5 seconds, release the Side button but keep holding the Volume Down button.
- Continue pressing the Volume Down button for another 10 seconds.
- All this while your iPhone’s screen is black.
- Let go of the Volume Down button after you see a popup in Finder or iTunes that says ‘Your Mac has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used.’
- Now, click OK in the pop-up and click Restore iPhone.
8. Get Your iPhone 14 Plus Repaired
It’s also possible that your iPhone 14 Plus won’t turn off because of a hardware problem. If you’ve recently dropped your iPhone on a hard surface, or if it has been exposed to too much water, its internal components may have been seriously damaged.
Schedule a Genius Bar appointment and take your iPhone 14 Plus into your local Apple Store and see what they can do for you. If your iPhone 14 Plus is protected by AppleCare, you may be able to get it repaired for free.
Fixed iPhone 14 Plus Not Turning off Issue!
You’ve successfully fixed the problem and your iPhone 14 Plus is turning off again. Now that you know why your iPhone 14 Plus won’t turn off, make sure you share this information on social media with your family and friends. If you have any other questions about your iPhone 14 Plus, feel free to ask them in the comments section below!
Submit a comment