If your iPhone 14 Pro won’t power off, you may be concerned that something is really wrong with it. Maybe, but there are lots of simple ways to fix this problem. In this article, I’ll explain why your iPhone 14 Pro won’t turn off and show you how to fix the problem.
Why Won’t My iPhone 14 Pro Shut Down?
The problems that can cause an iPhone 14 Pro to not be able to shut down fall into two broad categories: software problems and hardware problems.
Software Problems: There are many kind of software problems that can cause this problem (too many to list in a short article, in fact), but the vast majority of these issues have to do with the iOS that runs the iPhone 14 Pro. In some cases—less common, but they’re still valid—the software problem has to do with a specific app that’s running on your iPhone 14 Pro.
Hardware Problems: The most common hardware problem that can stop an iPhone 14 Pro from turning off is when one of the buttons you used to shut off the iPhone 14 Pro is broken. If the Volume or Side button isn’t registering a press that’s required to turn off the iPhone 14 Pro, the phone won’t be able to shut down. If you have a broken button, skip right to the 8th solution in this guide.
Note: information in this article applied to iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
How to Fix iPhone 14 Pro Not Turning Off Issue
If your iPhone 14 Pro won’t turn off, fix it by trying these suggestions, in this order.
1. Try a force restart
Sometimes the iPhone 14 Pro just needs a reset to snap it out of not shutting down. Since the iPhone 14 Pro won’t respond to normal commands, try a force restart.
- Quickly press and release Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
2. Turn off the iPhone 14 Pro in the Settings app
If you’re iPhone 14 Pro won’t shut down after trying the above method, you’ll be happy to know that the pre-installed Settings app includes a manual shut down option you can try.
- Go to Settings.
- Go into General.
- Tap Shut Down and move the power off slider from left to right.
3. Update iOS
If these steps haven’t fixed your iPhone 14 Pro not powering off issue, the problem is more likely to be with software than hardware, it’s time to try updating the iOS. New versions include bug fixes, so you may get a fix for your issue.
- Go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap Software Update to install any available updates.
4. Shut the iPhone 14 Pro down using AssistiveTouch
If your iPhone 14 Pro won’t shut down due to a hardware problem with the Side or other buttons, adding a virtual button to the screen can solve things for you. AssistiveTouch is designed to increase accessibility for people with motor-skill impairments, but it can help in this case.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Accessibility.
- Tap Touch.
- Select AssistiveTouch.
- move slider to on/green.
- Now tap the new onscreen button > Device > More > Restart.
5. Reset your iPhone 14 Pro’s settings
While unlikely, a problem with settings on the iPhone 14 Pro could stop it from shutting down. To fix it, you have to delete every setting and preference. This won’t wipe all of your data, but you’ll need to create a new passcode, re-join Wi-Fi networks, and so on. To reset all settings:
- go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Reset All Settings.
6. Put your iPhone 14 Pro into Recovery Mode
This safe setting helps solve serious software problems without requiring you to delete data from your iPhone 14 Pro. If nothing has fixed your iPhone 14 Pro not shutting off issue, this is a good option.
- Open Finder on your Mac. This applies to a Mac running macOS Catalina or later. On a Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier, open iTunes. On a PC, open iTunes.
- Plug your iPhone in to your computer using your USB to Lightning cable.
- With your phone connected to your computer, quickly press and release the Volume Up button, quickly press and release the Volume Down button, and then press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
7. Try DFU Mode
If Recovery Mode doesn’t fix your iPhone 14 Pro not turning off issue, your next step is Device Firmware Update (DFU) Mode. This is a more comprehensive OS-level software reset than Recovery Mode. It’s trickier to use, but is a worth a shot.
- Connect your iPhone 14 Pro to a Mac or PC using a Lightning to USB cable.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Now, press and hold the Side button for 10 seconds.
- The screen will turn black.
- Keep holding the Side button and now press the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.
- After 5 seconds, release the Side button but keep holding the Volume Down button.
- Continue pressing the Volume Down button for another 10 seconds.
- All this while your iPhone’s screen is black.
- Let go of the Volume Down button after you see a popup in Finder or iTunes that says ‘Your Mac has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used.’
- Now, click OK in the pop-up and click Restore iPhone.
8. Contact Apple for support
If you’ve tried all of these steps and your iPhone 14 Pro still won’t turn off, you need the experts. Make a Genius Bar appointment with the closest Apple Store for in-person support, or get online and phone text support from Apple’s support website.
Fixed iPhone 14 Pro Not Turning off Issue!
You’ve successfully fixed the problem and your iPhone 14 Pro is turning off again. Now that you know why your iPhone 14 Pro won’t turn off, make sure you share this information on social media with your family and friends. If you have any other questions about your iPhone 14 Pro, feel free to ask them in the comments section below!