Some users have faced a challenge where the Apple Watch Ultra and Apple Watch Ultra 2 Side button (not the Digital Crown) tends to stick and not function properly. When the Apple Watch Ultra or Apple Watch Ultra 2 Side button is stuck, this means that it is not moving freely like it should and does not spring back into position. It may look as if it is locked into the pressed position. This will cause the button to be jammed and difficult to press, making it unresponsive or challenging to use.
The side button on the Apple Watch Ultra is used for many functions:
- You can press to show or hide Control Center.
- Press and hold to use Emergency SOS.
- Pressing and holding the side button activates Siri for voice commands.
- Double-click to use Apple Pay.
- Press and hold to turn your watch on or off.
If your Apple Watch Ultra or Apple Watch Ultra 2 Side button is stuck, you won’t be able to perform the above actions. You may fear that you might have pressed it too forcefully, causing it to get stuck or wedged. But do not worry, you can fix it. Troubleshoot Apple Watch Ultra Side button problems by performing the following steps:
Try these first:
- Apply more pressure when pressing the button.
- Remove any protective cases that might block the side button. Typically, buttons might require a firmer press when a protective case is in use. In the case of a third-party protective cover, the side buttons could exhibit unresponsiveness upon pressing because the protective cover may block the button.
- Check for debris or dirt around the Side button. If you notice any, these may be the reason why your Apple Watch Ultra Side button is stuck, fails to rebound, or unresponsive. Clean your Apple Watch. You can use a soft bristle toothbrush to clean the edges of the button.
When my Apple Watch Ultra side button got sticky, I found applying and rubbing a drop of water along the edges of the side button to be an effective solution. The water will clean any debris or residue, allowing the side button to regain its mobility. It’s worth a try with little risk involved.
If the issue continues, gently rinse and wash the Side button under warm water. Do not use hot water. You can turn on Water Lock before putting your watch under running water. And then, when you are done, you can eject water by pressing and holding the Digital Crown.
You should know that your Apple Watch is water resistant.
If the Apple Watch Ultra side button is still not working, it’s time to contact Apple support. There’s a high chance that your side button is damaged and can only be fixed by Apple. If your Apple Watch Ultra is still covered by the standard or extended warranty, go ahead and contact Apple support for further help. It is easy to contact Apple. You can make an appointment at an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store. Please note that Apple technician may find the Side button to be unrepairable, and your watch may need to be replaced with a new one. The cost is dependent on your warranty type and status.