Is your iPhone volume buttons not working after iOS 16 update? You’ve come to the right place. In this article, I’ll show you exactly what to do when your iPhone volume buttons are not working after iOS 16 update so you can fix the problem for good!
Many users rely on the volume buttons to adjust volume on iPhone. Since we interact with the volume buttons many times per day, the keys can wear out over time.
Why won’t your iPhone volume buttons work after iOS 16 update?
There are a few common reasons your volume buttons aren’t working on iPhone running iOS 16. They include:
- Your phone case is blocking the volume buttons.
- The buttons are damaged or dirty.
- There’s a problem with the software or an app on your iOS 16 device.
- There’s a hardware issue with your iPhone.
If your iPhone volume buttons are not working after iOS 16 update, then don’t rush to the Apple Store yet. If you’d like to know what to do when the volume buttons on your iOS 16 device won’t work, here are 7 solutions to help you fix the issue.
How to fix an iPhone volume buttons that are not working after iOS 16 update
1. iPhone volume buttons not working in iOS 16? Reboot Your device
If your iPhone volume buttons are not working after iOS 16 update, the First Troubleshooting step is to perform a simple reboot. This will restart all background services and refresh your device’s core components in case something had crashed or malfunctioned causing your iPhone volume buttons to stop working.
If the volume buttons are not working on your iPhone, then you can restart your device through the Settings app.
- Go to Settings
- Tap General
- Swipe down and tap Shut Down
- The Slide to Power Off screen will pop up. Drag the slider to the right and your iPhone will shut down.
Now turn on your iPhone back on and check if volume buttons are working.
2. Clean the Gaps Around the Volume Buttons
Your phone’s volume buttons are regularly exposed to the outside world and all of its grime. It’s possible the gaps around them have accumulated some minute debris, which could hamper the internal connections.
- Remove the case or any protective film to see if it’s covering all or part of the button.
- Inspect the Power button for any damage.
- Check for debris or dirt around the button.
- Clean it with a microfiber cloth or a cotton swab dipped in a bit of rubbing alcohol.
3. Use The Volume Slider In The Settings App
If your iPhone volume buttons are jammed or broken, you may feel like you’re in a sticky situation when it comes to adjusting your phone’s volume. Thankfully, the iPhone’s Settings app includes volume controls for ringer and alert sounds. Follow the steps below:
- Open Settings
- Tap Sounds & Haptics
- Drag the “Ringer and Alerts” slider to the right. This increases the volume of the ringer and notifications sounds on your iPhone.
4. Turn On Change With Buttons
Are you trying to increase or decrease the ringer volume on your iPhone using the volume buttons? Well, make sure Change with Buttons is turned on. Follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings
- Tap on Sounds & Haptics.
- Turn on change with buttons.
5. Turn On AssistiveTouch On Your iPhone
If your iPhone volume buttons are not working after iOS 16 update, AssistiveTouch is a fantastic temporary solution! The feature lets you replicate button actions so you can get by without using the physical keys.
- Open Settings
- Tap Accessibility
- Tap Touch
- Select AssistiveTouch to turn this feature on.
- Once you have the floating home button on your screen, tap it
- Now, tap Device. You’ll see an option to adjust the volume up or down, just like you can do with functional volume buttons!
6. Possibility of Water Damage? Let It Dry
In case your iPhone volume buttons have stopped working after a water accident, you shouldn’t do anything yet. First, you have to make sure your phone’s internals are completely dry.
There are various methods to save a phone dropped in water. Turn your device off immediately, let it completely dry out, and then you can start troubleshooting.
7. iPhone Volume Buttons Not Working after iOS 16 update? Repair Your Device With Apple
In most scenarios, you should be able to find a solution in at least one of the steps discussed. In particular, with the case of dead volume buttons, the Assistivetouch feature should do the trick.
Your last resort, of course, is to visit the nearest Apple Store and get professional help. As long as there’s no water damage and your phone is under warranty, it hopefully won’t cost you anything.
See also: iPhone Speakers not working after iOS 16 update? 11 fixes!