While rare, it is entirely possible that your iPhone 11 speaker stops working one fine day. There can be a number of reasons behind the speaker on your iPhone 11 suddenly not working at all or its volume output being lower than usual. . In this article, I’ll explain what to do when an iPhone 11 speaker is not working so you can fix the problem for good.
Until and unless you have dropped your device or if it was damaged physically, it is unlikely that the speaker on your iPhone 11 will just stop working suddenly. This could likely be a software problem that can be solved easily. Try out some possible solutions listed below to get the speaker on your iPhone 11 to work again.
Why are my iPhone 11 speakers not working?
There are many reasons your iPhone 11 speakers may be having issues, but here are some common causes behind iPhone 11 speakers not working:
- Physical or liquid damage
- Bluetooth issues
- Headphone glitch
- Airplay is connected
- Silent mode is turned on
- Dirty or blocked speaker port
- Software malfunction
How to fix iPhone 11 speakers not working
Whether you own an iPhone 11, iPhone 11 pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max, Here are a few fixes you can try at home to get your speakers back up and running.
1. Force Restart your iPhone
If you find your iPhone 11 speakers not working, the first thing to do is to simply perform a force restart. This will restart all background activities and give your iPhone a clean start in case anything had crashed since your last reboot and may have been causing the speakers on your iPhone 11 to stop working. Follow the steps below:
- Quickly press and release the volume up button.
- Quickly press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the side button.
2. No sound on iPhone 11? Clean the speakers and receivers
If you use your iPhone in a particularly dirty or dusty environment, you should look into cleaning the speaker grille. It is possible that dust and lint have accumulated inside the speaker grille of your iPhone 11 thereby blocking its sound output.
It’s easy, just do the following:
- If you use a screen protector, case, or film, take it off.
- Look for dirt or anything blocking the speaker and receiver.
- You can blow air into the speakers, either using your mouth or a can of compressed air. Apart from that, you can try to suck small crumbs and bits of dust out using a vacuum cleaner. This could affect your phone’s internals, though, so you should be careful if you attempt this.
- Another good option is gently scrubbing the speaker grills with an old toothbrush, which should help loosen up the dirt.
3. turn the volume all the way up
The next thing that you need to do is check the volume level on your iPhone 11 if there’s no sound coming from the speaker. Everyone tends to slip up every once in a while and it is possible that you have the volume level on your iPhone 11 set to zero which is why there’s no sound coming from the speaker. To check the sound volume:
- Unlock your iPhone and hold the Volume Up button (on the left side) to raise the volume level.
- You can also use Siri by saying, “Hey Siri, turn up the volume.”
4. Disable Focus Mode
When Focus Mode is on, many calls and sounds will be silenced. Make sure Focus Mode is turned off by going to Settings > Focus and switching it off.
5. Check the Mute Switch
If you are using an iPhone for the first time, it is entirely possible that you have out the phone on silent using the mute switch. This would mean that your iPhone 11 will not make any sound for incoming calls and notifications, with the media volume also turned to zero. So, if your iPhone 11 speaker is suddenly not working, you should check the position of the mute switch. Just push the switch forward toward the screen so the orange isn’t showing. (If you do see orange, that means your device is in Silent Mode.)
6. Update iOS
If your iPhone 11 is running an outdated version of iOS, it could cause software issues to occur. Here’s how to make sure you’re running the latest version:
- Plug your iPhone into your charger and connect to Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- If a software update is available, tap Download and Install. If a message pops up asking to temporarily remove apps, tap Continue.
- If prompted, enter your passcode. The software update will start automatically.
7. Disable silence unknown callers
If the Silence Unknown Callers setting is turned on, you won’t hear calls from unknown numbers that aren’t saved in your Contacts. (Those calls will be silenced, sent to voicemail, and listed in Recents.) To turn off this setting, go to Settings > Phone and tap Silence Unknown Callers, then switch it off.
8. Turn off Bluetooth
It is possible that your iPhone 11 is connected to a Bluetooth media device and transmitting audio to it which is why there’s no sound coming from the speaker. I have faced this issue when I paired a WearOS watch with my iPhone as the phone always routed the audio through the watch. So, you should turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone 11 and then check if the speaker is working on your device or not. To turn off Bluetooth, go to Settings, tap Bluetooth, and toggle the switch off.
9. Disconnect your headphones
Sometimes, your iPhone 11 speakers may not be working, but your headphones do. When you unplug accessories from the lightning port, iOS may fail to process this event, leaving your phone stuck in headphone mode and your iPhone 11 speakers not working. That means your speaker will be disabled, despite you having disconnected your earphones. To fix this glitch:
- Make sure your headphone jack is clean of any dirt or debris.
- Push in your headphones, then quickly pull them out again.
10. Reset your settings
If you’ve tried everything else and your still experiencing the problem of iPhone 11 speakers not working, try resetting your iPhone settings. This won’t affect your messages, apps, or media files, and it will give your settings—like sound and display—a reset. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone
- Tap Reset, then tap Reset All Settings. You may have to enter your passcode.
11. Water Accident? Let It Dry
If water accidentally goes inside the speaker of your iPhone 11, the sound coming out from it could end up being muffled or too low. This can happen if you drop your iPhone in water or spill some liquid on it. In such cases, you need to get the water out of the speaker system.
There are several methods to dry a wet iPhone. You can blow hot air into it, dump it in a bowl of rice, and more. Whatever you do, turn your iPhone off immediately and let it completely dry before trying to boot it back up.
12. Get Help from Apple
If you have tried all the above steps and your iPhone 11 speakers are still not working, your speakers might be broken. You should book an appointment with the Genius Bar and have it examined by a professional.
See also: Microphone Not Working on Your iPhone 11? How to Fix It
iPhone 11 Speakers Not Working? These Fixes Should Have Helped!
The above tips should help in fixing the speakers on your iPhone 11 if it’s a software glitch. If not, your only option is to take the device to the nearest Apple store.
If the above tips help in getting the speakers on your iPhone 11 to work again, drop a comment and let us know about it.
Submit a comment