If your iPhone SE 3 doesn’t ring when you get a call, don’t worry — this problem can typically be fixed by following a few simple troubleshooting steps, so your frustration is almost over! In this article, I’ll explain why your iPhone SE 2022 is not ringing and show you how to fix the problem for good!
Your iPhone SE 2022 may not ring for incoming calls due to misconfigured settings, software bugs, or hardware problems. Because of these issues, you can unknowingly miss important family and work calls, which is never good.
But don’t worry. Let’s look at some reasons why your iPhone SE 3 might not ring, then walk through solutions to fix this issue.
Causes of the iPhone SE 3 Not Ringing Problem
If your iPhone SE 2022 isn’t ringing, there are several possible culprits:
- A broken speaker.
- Mute is turned on.
- Focus is turned on.
- You blocked the phone number.
- You silenced all unknown callers.
- There’s a problem with a ringtone.
- You’re stuck in headphone mode.
How to fix iPhone SE 3 not ringing problem
Use these tips to get your iPhone SE 3 ringing again:
1. Check The Ring / Silent Switch On Your iPhone SE 3
You can use the Ring / Silent switch to quickly toggle your iPhone SE 3 ringer on or off. If the switch is flipped to the Silent side, your iPhone SE 3 won’t ring.
Examine the Ring / Silent switch on the left-hand side of your iPhone.
If the switch is pulled towards the back of your iPhone and you see a small orange line, your iPhone SE 3 is on silent.
To turn the ringer on, pull the Ring / Silent switch towards the front of your iPhone SE 3.
2. Turn Ringer Volume All The Way Up On Your iPhone SE 3
It’s possible that the ringer volume on your iPhone SE 3 has been set independently of the volume of other sounds. Even if the rest of the sounds your iPhone makes are getting louder, the volume of your ringer may be stuck on silent or a very low volume.
- Open up the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap Sounds & Haptics.
- Using your finger, drag the Ringer And Alerts slider all the way to the right to turn the ringer volume all the way up.
3. Make Sure Focus Is Turned Off
Most of the time, the reason an iPhone SE 3 isn’t ringing for incoming calls is that the user has accidentally turned on Focus feature in Settings. All calls, texts, and other notifications get silenced when Focus is turned on.
- Open Control Center by swiping up from below the bottom of your iPhone SE 2022 display.
- Tap the Focus icon to turn it off.
4. Disconnect Bluetooth Audio Devices
If you leave wireless audio devices like AirPods connected to your iPhone, your incoming call ringtone may output through these instead of the phone speaker. This mostly happens with non-Apple earbuds that do not automatically sense when you are wearing them.
You can disconnect all wireless devices by opening the Control Center and tapping the Bluetooth icon. To disconnect devices individually instead, head to Settings > Bluetooth.
Once the Bluetooth devices are disconnected, the incoming call ringtone should normally sound via your iPhone’s speakers.
5. Turn Off Silence Unknown Callers
The Silence Unknown Callers feature mutes all incoming calls from people not in your contact list. It also suppresses rings for people you have never contacted or received their phone number (via call, text, or email).
So if someone like a distant relative or delivery person calls, you might not hear the incoming ringtone with this setting enabled. To fix this, follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app and tap Phone.
- If you see On next to Silence Unknown Callers, tap this field and turn the slider off from the next screen.
- Now, you should hear the ringtone for all incoming calls, unless you have the person blocked.
6. Double-Check if You’ve Blocked the Caller
After you block a person on iPhone, they cannot call, FaceTime, or text you. It’s possible that you blocked a person by accident, or no longer need to have them blocked. To address this, here’s how to check your block list and unblock them:
- Open Settings and tap Phone.
- Scroll down and tap Blocked Contacts.
- In the list of blocked contacts, swipe left on the desired entry and tap Unblock. Alternatively, tap Edit > red minus button > Unblock.
7. Restart Your iPhone
Restarting your device is a simple and effective way to fix common issues without much trouble. If your iPhone SE 2022 won’t ring after trying the above, turn off your phone and turn it back on after a minute before moving on.
8. Choose a Different or Louder Ringtone
Sometimes you might miss phone calls because the tone you have chosen is not loud or distinct enough. In this case, you should try out other ringtones and use the one that’s the loudest or clearest.
Follow these steps to change your ringtone:
- Open Settings and tap Sounds & Haptics.
- Tap Ringtone.
- From here, tap to hear the different tones. When you’ve found one that suits you, hit Back.
9. Check for Custom Contact Ringtones
The ringtone you set above applies to all contacts, unless you’ve added a different tone to someone. If you miss calls from only certain people, follow these steps to ensure their custom tone is clear:
- Open Contacts or the Phone app and go to your contact list.
- Tap the contact’s name.
- If you see the Ringtone section, you have added a custom tone for this person. Tap Ringtone, choose a different tone for them, and tap Done when satisfied.
10. Check and Turn Off Call Forwarding
When call forwarding is enabled, you do not get any notification or hear a ring, as incoming calls are diverted to another number. Here’s how to turn off call forwarding to ensure you receive calls as usual:
- Open Settings and tap Phone.
- Tap Call Forwarding and give it a few seconds to load.
- If it is enabled, tap the Call Forwarding toggle to turn it off.
11. Check that your iPhone isn’t stuck in headphone mode
It’s possible that your phone is “stuck” in a mode in which it thinks it’s playing the ringtone, but it’s sending it to a device that isn’t connected, like earbuds that aren’t plugged in or a Bluetooth device that isn’t turned on.
Here are a few things you can try to “wake up” your iPhone’s audio connection so it’s working properly:
- Plug earbuds into your phone and remove them again to coax the phone into recognizing there are no earbuds plugged in.
- Make sure you’re not connected to another audio device by swiping up on the screen to display the Control Center. Then tap the Airplay icon in the music pane – it looks like a triangle with three circles – and if anything other than the iPhone is selected, choose the iPhone.
- Enable and disable Airplane mode by tapping the airplane icon in the Control Center.
12. Clean the iPhone speaker
Every sound your iPhone makes—playing music, watching movies, or the ringer from incoming calls—comes from the speaker at the bottom of the device. If you don’t hear the ringer for incoming calls, the speaker may be dirty or broken.
Test the speaker by playing music or a video. Turn up the volume. If you can hear audio, but the volume is too low, or the sound is distorted, clean the speaker.
If you hear no sound, even with the volume turned all the way up, the iPhone speakers may be broken. Learn how to fix iPhone speakers.
13. Get your iPhone serviced
If none of the other troubleshooting tricks solved your iPhone SE 2022 not ringing problem, you probably have a hardware problem with your phone, like a damaged speaker or a fried port.
You can go to Apple’s support page and make a Genius Bar reservation to have someone look at it in person.
iPhone SE 2022 not ringing: problem fixed
By now, your iPhone SE 2022 not ringing problem should be fixed, ensuring you do not miss future calls. To check, ask a friend or family member to call you, or try calling from a Google Voice number if needed.