Let’s take a look at what we believe to be the best duplicate file finders for Mac in 2022!
Duplicate files are no less than a hurdle in everyday work on your Mac. Even then we do not pay much heed to it, this becomes a reason for the slowdown of the system as well as working hurdles. Before we realize it, duplicate files become a major problem and this requires you to keep a smart software that can delete duplicate files on Mac easily and save ample amount space for further storage.
Below, we have put together a list of the best duplicate file finders for Mac which will make finding and deleting duplicates on your Mac much easier. Lets dive into it!
Gemini 2 Duplicate Finder for Mac
MacPaw Gemini is a great app for identifying duplicate folders, files, and apps on a Mac. By eliminating those duplicates, you can free up lots of space on your computer. MacPaw Gemini is like hiring a professional cleaning service to come in and clear out the duplicate files of any folder on your Mac. The app has solid features that work great to find duplicate and similar files. The app is quick and easy and accurate, and it attempts to entertain you as it goes about its business.
Using Gemini is easier than reading your horoscope. It surely has inherited the sleek design style from the MacPaw family. Similar to CleanMyMac, Gemini 2 also has a very clean and simple interface. Together with appropriate instruction texts and warnings, the app is a breeze to navigate. Once you’ve opened the application, you can either drag and drop a particular folder into the window or use the plus button to identify a folder or library.
Gemini visualizes its findings using a color-coded pie chart. Files are sorted by size, and you can click on any culprit to preview it or trace the location of it and its duplicate(s). You may tick the boxes of duplicates you wish to remove, or, alternatively, you can request that Gemini Auto Select duplicates.
Gemini 2 Duplicate Finder for Mac – Pros
- It can find lots of duplicate files on your Mac (or external drives).
- File categorization (Exact Duplicates & Similar Files) makes review easy.
- Customizable app preferences and proper warnings are helpful.
- Very easy to use with sleek interfaces
Gemini 2 Duplicate Finder for Mac – Cons
- Resource hungry during scanning which can significantly slow down (even freeze) some lower end Macs
- The “gamification” feature is more distracting than fun.
- The price tag can become a real deal-breaker considering you can get a full set of cleaning tools in a similar price range.
Gemini 2 – Pricing
To use the full properties of the app to delete duplicate files and their data, you’ll need to purchase a serial key to activate the full version and access all of Gemini’s features. A serial key with a single user license will cost you $19.95. Single user means that you can activate the app on a single Mac only. Consequently, two Macs license steps it up to $29.95, and a license for five Macs all the way to $44.95.
Nektony Duplicate File Finder
Nektony Duplicate File Finder for Mac is a professional file finder that can easily find duplicate audio files, videos, photos, documents, or any other extensions available inside the system. Moreover, the interface is very simple and easy to work upon so that new user can also put their hands on it.
Duplicate File Finder scans your Mac hard drive or external drives to find identical files and folders. It searches equal files by type, name, count, and size. You can separately view and delete duplicate photos, videos, music, documents, or all types of duplicates from your Mac. Duplicate File Finder also helps you to detect similar folders, which have both equal and unique files and merge them to free up storage space on your disk. Besides that, Duplicate File Finder detects similar photos in order to ease the selection of the favorite pictures you want to keep on your computer. This application is easy to use and it provides a “how to use” guide for new users. A free version is also available, but I feel the Pro version with its bonus features will not withhold too much, for its pricing.
If you want the advanced features, like removing duplicates in bulk, comparing folders or merging folders, you can upgrade the app to a Pro version for $19.99.
Nektony Duplicate File Finder – Pros
- Most of the functions are free of cost and can be enjoyed by anyone.
- Very good scanning speed even if the hard drive is heavy.
Nektony Duplicate File Finder – CONS
- Some settings to find duplicate files are complicated.
Nektony Duplicate File Finder – Pricing
Duplicate File Finder provides three options. First, the free version from the App Store with limited features, the Pro (paid) version with additional features, and the application’s website version which comes with a free 2-day trial. The Pro mode with advanced features like removing duplicates in bulk, comparing similar folders, or merging folders, costs $19.99.
PhotoSweeper is a swift and powerful duplicate photos cleaner built to help you find and delete duplicate and similar photos on your Mac. According to the developer, the app works with pictures from both internal and external hard drives, and it supports Photos/iPhoto, Adobe Lightroom, Aperture, and Capture One libraries.
With PhotoSweeper, it doesn’t matter where you store and organize your photos since it supports iPhoto, Aperture, and Lightroom libraries. You can even search and navigate to any folder on your hard drive too. Where PhotoSweeper dumps duplicate photos will depend on what program you use though. For example, if you use Lightroom, it’ll simply put them in a collection for you to dump. If you use iPhoto, the photos that you choose to clear away are moved to the iPhoto Trash where you can dump them permanently from there. Nothing too terrible.
The thing I like about PhotoSweeper over other duplicate photo removers I’ve tried is that you can fine tune control what PhotoSweeper actually considers a duplicate. You can go off time stamps or my image likeness. Heck, you can even change and customize what details about the picture PhotoSweeper looks for in order to determine if it’s a duplicate. These details include color mode, preprocessing data, and color sensitivity level. There’s also a general slider that lets you vary between partial or exact matching.
When it comes to actually detecting and removing duplicate photos, you have two main views – Face-to-Face and Group List. Face-to-Face gives you a nice large view and compares photos that PhotoSweeper thinks are duplicated. Just click on the one you’d like to remove and mark it. Then move on to the next one. Group List is a quicker way and shows everything in an easy to use scroll view with smaller thumbnails. This is easy for large events or folders that may have many duplicates to look at. Just mark the ones you’d like to delete and that’s all there is to it.
PhotoSweeper – Pros
- Interface makes sense and isn’t overwhelming to non-photographers
- Face-to-Face and Group List views make detecting and marking duplicates as time consuming or as time saving as you’d like
- Match detection tools are far more superior than many tools I’ve seen at this price level
PhotoSweeper – Cons
- Only support photos and videos input
- Require learning curve to utilize its features
- Poor performance on finding video duplicates, doesn’t support video preview
- Cannot permanently deleted duplicates
PhotoSweeper – Pricing
PhotoSweeper offers free 30-day trial version before any commercial decisions, and only 10 photos can be removed for free. If you need the full service, you will have to pay $9.99 to get a license.
Easy Duplicate Finder
Easy Duplicate Finder is a utility tool offering the most value to both Windows PC and macOS users. Easy Duplicate Finder scans fast and presents accurate results of duplicated files in two flexible views for selecting which to delete. Easy Duplicate Finder shows up as a saving grace when you have hundreds of documents, photos, music or media files you have lost track of, occupying so much of your disk space and you cannot bear to start sorting them out manually. When you think of a duplicate finder with best features and speed, you don’t need to go any further.
WebMinds Easy Duplicate Finder helps you find and remove duplicate files on your computer and external drives, freeing up storage space in the process. Once the duplicates have been found, the program can automatically delete them for you, while retaining the original file. Or you can review the duplicates and decide what to do with them. I found the file scan very good; some of the other scans were lacking.
Easy Duplicate Finder is the most valuable utility for macOS users. Easy Duplicate Finder scans fast and displays the exact accurate of duplicate files in two flexible views to choose which files to delete. When you have hundreds of documents, photos, music or media files taking up a lot of disk space and you don’t want to spend too much time sorting them out manually, Easy Duplicate Finder can help you. When you think of a duplicate finder with the best features and speed, you don’t need to go anywhere else. Easy Duplicate finder also offers duplicate finder tools for different types of duplicate files, so you are free to choose the one that suits you best.
Should you purchase Easy Duplicate Finder? If you’ve been running your computer for a while and have lots of duplicate files, the app can save you a lot of disk space as well improve the organization of your files. Or you may like to consider some of the alternative apps we list later in the review. If you have plenty of hard drive space free, or only have a few files, save your money.
Easy Duplicate Finder – Pros
- Offers various options for dealing with the duplicates detected, so you don’t have to delete a file you are not sure about. You can choose to rename or move the items.
- A powerful search engine to perform fast filename checks, with bytes to byte comparison, ensuring you have accurate results from a scan.
- Straightforwardness, easy to understand and use. Speaking about the easy usage; the software is solid and customizable to provide you with results in a matter of seconds.
- The search options are flexible, allowing you to scan files from multiple sources on your device, including external drives by predefined or customary masks, so the scanned results can be analyzed and saved for future use.
- It does not just detect the files with the names and dates alone; it also matches them by the contents using a CRC checksums algorithm to guarantee that the scanned files are the exact duplicates without false positives.
- Offers the “Undo” for emergency recovery
Easy Duplicate Finder – Cons
- The interface is a little old fashioned which would not pose as a problem if you know how to work it.
- The software sometimes gives no explanations for failed actions in finding mode.
- The free trial only allows you to sort out a maximum of 10 groups per scan even if it finds all your duplicates.
- 40 dollar per computer seems to be a bit expensive.
Easy Duplicate Finder – Pricing
Easy Duplicate Finder costs $39.95 for one computer, which includes a year of updates. Other plans are available that let you use the app on more computers, or give you two years of updates.
Other duplicate cleaners for Mac worth mentioning
- Tidy Up 5
- Duplicate Detective
- Duplicate Photo Cleaner
- Cloud Duplicate Finder
We hope that you enjoy the fastest scanning of these duplicate finder for Mac as well as get rid of all the duplicate files along with similar photos using these tools. According to us, these are the best choices when it comes to the removal of duplicate files from Mac. Have you tried any of these applications yet? If not, we recommend you to try them for an optimized Mac.