The iOS 16 lets users schedule emails in Mail app to send later on iPhone and iPad. This article explains how it’s done.
Have you ever tried to remember to email someone about something on a particular date in the not-so-distant future, but ended up forgetting to send it when the day eventually came around? If that sounds familiar, scheduling emails could be the perfect way to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
Whether it’s a birthday or other celebration, or maybe something business-related that you need to bring up on a specific future date, Apple’s Mail offers you the ability to schedule emails ahead of time.
Apple’s Mail app has gotten a mix of new features with iOS 16. Several of the major ones are the option to Send Later, Remind Later, and even unsend an email if you act quickly enough.
Below we’ll focus on how it works to Send Later with Mail on iPhone.
How to schedule an email in mail app for iPhone
- Running iOS 16 on iPhone, open the Mail app
- Draft a new email
- After writing your email, long-press the send button (blue up arrow)
- Now you can choose to send with one of two preset times or pick Send Later to use a custom time
- Tap Done to set your email to Send Later
- Repeat to schedule more emails
- Head to the main Mail app screen to see all of your email set to Send Later
Apple notes that you’ll need to keep your “device online to ensure email delivery” during the scheduled time.
What happens when you schedule an email in Mail app on iPhone?
When you schedule an email for later on Apple Mail, the email you composed directly moves to the Send Later folder inside your Mailboxes and will continue to stay there until the scheduled time arrives. From there, you can view the email for any changes or edit the scheduled time to send them earlier or much later.
After the scheduled time, the email will be sent automatically from Apple Mail and it will be visible inside the Sent folder.
How to find, edit, and remove scheduled emails on Apple Mail
All your scheduled emails from the Mail app will be accessible inside the Send Later folder. To find your scheduled emails:
- Open the Mail app on iOS and tap on Mailboxes at the top left corner of the Inbox screen.
- On the next screen, select Send Later.
- You will now see all the emails you have scheduled for later inside the Send Later screen. If you wish to make changes to the scheduled time or cancel this email altogether, select the email from Sent Later.
- When the email loads up, tap on Edit at the top right corner.
- On this screen, you can apply the new date and time for the email to be sent. If you want to remove the email from Send Later, tap on Cancel Send Later.
- The email will be removed from your Send Later folder and it won’t be sent to the recipient.
How to send scheduled emails right away instead of later
If you have changed your mind about sending your email at the specified time and now you wish to send it right away, you can still do that on Apple Mail. For this, you first need to move the scheduled email to your outbox and then send it from there.
To send your scheduled emails right away:
- Open the Mail app and go to the Send Later folder in your mailboxes as shown in the previous section.
- Inside Send Later, tap on Edit at the top right corner.
- Now, select the email(s) you want to move to your Apple Mail outbox.
- Once selected, tap on Move at the bottom.
- On the next screen, select Outbox from the list of options.
- The selected email will directly be sent to your Mail app’s outbox. To access this folder, tap on Mailboxes at the top left corner.
- Inside Mailboxes, select Outbox.
- You should now be able to see the email that you moved from Send Later. Select this email to open it.
- When this email opens, tap on the Send button (marked by a blue arrow bubble).
- The Mail app will now send your email to the recipient instantly.
That’s all you need to know about scheduling an email to send later on Apple Mail on iOS 16.
Submit a comment