Often Mac applications can work only with certain file formats. These include highly specialized programs that allow working with video files and graphics, as well as various media players.
Many format converters have been developed for Mac and iOS to make it easier to change a file to the desired format. Most of them are easy to use and allow you to convert any video, audio, image, and text files in a couple of minutes.
However, depending on the data contained in the original format, the conversion can be performed with the loss of data. For example, when changing MOV to MP4 format, the loss of quality might be noticeable (if the converter is not of the highest quality). Lossless conversion of audio, image, and video files also exists but it’s a little less common.
Types of converters
Converters can be divided into several categories:
- Audio converter;
- Video converter;
- Text converter;
- Image converter;
- Universal converter.
The most common are universal converters that can convert images, audio, and video files. The main drawback of their universal nature is not the greatest quality of the converted files. Some specialized services work only with certain formats and thus can offer better quality.
Converters are available as individual applications (paid and free) to be installed on your device or as online services. The latter allows you not only to convert a file from one format to another but also to edit videos/music, add various effects to images and get the necessary format at the end. Also, many programs have the ability to be integrated into a browser. As a result, audio and video files don’t need to be searched for and downloaded – you can easily save them in the format you need during playback.
There are many offline programs available on the World Wide Web. All you have to do is enter the required query, and the search engine will do everything for you. By following the links and instructions, in 5-10 minutes you will have the converter on your Mac.
Advantages of offline converters:
- No waiting time. Since the converter work directly on your device, you don’t have to wait until the server is free.
- No size limit. Most free online services have a file size limit. With offline versions this is not the case.
- Secure. You don’t have to upload your file anywhere. Everything happens on your device.
- Selection. There are a lot of options these days. You get a universal converter, if you work with a wide range of formats, or a specialized one.
If you download the program on the assumption that you will be using it almost every day, you can buy a licensed video converter from a reputable company. However, if you only need to make a couple of conversions, the program will only clutter up your hard drive. You can find a free version, but it might have a lot fewer features.
When you download a program, make sure that the files you upload are free of viruses and other malicious components. On many sites, administrators mark the materials, checked by an antivirus, with special signs, so that the users were calm and confident in the quality of the software.
The main advantage of online converters is that you do not need to create an account or subscribe to the service. You just need to go to the site, choose the formats you need, upload the file, convert it, and save the result.
The main advantages are:
- Fast. Online file conversion programs allow you to change the file format in a matter of minutes;
- Easy. It doesn’t require any special knowledge from users, most interfaces are pretty minimalistic;
- Optimizing the size of the document. Every so often, an important document contains many images and graphics and is therefore quite large. After converting it to another format, you might be able to control its outcome size;
- Free to use. Most online services are free to use, or have a paid subscription but offer some free functionality;
- Numerous formats. Online services are not restrained by the size of the program, so they often offer a much larger selection of formats;
- You don’t need to install the software on your device in order to use it;
- An unlimited number of files can be converted. This differs from one site to another, but many services provide unlimited access. However, there might be other restrictions (file size, for example) if we are talking about free services.
Online file converters are unique services that offer many functions. The interface of such programs is clear and simple. The sheer selection is impressive as well, there are probably thousands of such services nowadays. Just by typing “free online video converter” into a search engine, you’ll get hundreds more results.
To get high-quality media files, it’s better to use highly specialized programs that work only with video or audio files. The result will surpass all expectations! And the most important thing to remember is that the choice of the program depends on the availability of the necessary functions and the quality of the converted files.